Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The sock monkey that almost got away!

When I became pregnant I knew that I would love my baby-to-be with all of my heart... but I don't think I fully realized the emotional roller coaster that was about to begin. I never imagined that I would be so sad for him to grow up but excited at the same time... I never thought I'd be the type of mother who would keep him sleeping in the pack 'n play in our bedroom till he was almost 8 months old... I didn't think that I would sleep with me head at the end of the bed just so I could check on him throughout the night... and I never thought I would cry if we lost one of his toys. Well, thus far I've been wrong on all of those accounts.

On Monday while we were shopping for some snacks for the hotel room, oatmeal for Landrick and travel wipes we had a little incident with Mr. Sock Monkey. Landrick kicked him out of his seat and out of the cart. I saw Mr. SM on the floor, picked him up and put him back in. Halfway across the store later, while in the shoe isle, Sam noticed that Mr. SM was missing. I immediately went into panic mode. Sam retraced our steps in the shoe isles and I went back to the baby isles... but could not find Mr. SM anywhere. Sam then said he would go back over to the snack isle to look there while I looked in the baby and show isles again. I did not find him and was already preparing myself to accept the fact that Landrick's favorite little animal might be gone forever.

When Sam came around the corner back from the snack isle he wasn't holding Mr. SM and neither was Landrick. Sam just kind of looked at me an shrugged and I immediately started to cry... who would have thought? Although I know Landrick would have been unfazed, I still was so sad that this little toy that he was fond of and we'd watch him cutely play with over the past several months was gone... and not even gone to someone else who would love him the same way. I kept thinking... I wonder if they would announce a missing sock monkey over their intercom? Would that be crazy to ask? What would I do if I saw Mr. SM in someone elses cart.... would I confront them (btw, the answer to that one was YES). Just as I laid my head on Sam's shoulder he reached into his back pocket and pulled Mr. SM out... I think I cried even more when I saw him again. He gave Mr. SM back to Landrick who squealed with delight and grabbed the little guy. Apparently, Mr. Sock Monkey escaped while we were in the cereal isle.... I told Sam that I may never eat cereal again.


Oh Mr. Sock Monkey, Mommy may have to put a leash on you!

1 comment:

abigailadamsthomas said...

Ah, yes! The super strong mommy-to-toy attachment. To be rivaled only by the mommy-to-babyclothes attachment. It shows itself in its fullest form on the day you THINK you are ready to "get rid some things"...it becomes an internal, good-vs-evil, intense struggle to toss anything of your child's into the goodwill box....WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT???? :)