Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Sickness...

Well I'm glad that we were at least blessed with about 10 months of a sickness free Landrick, as it appears that once he gets sick... he just stays sick. We've been dealing with him no feeling 'himself' since just before labor day. First it was Strep Throat... poor little fella. That was the most miserable that I've seen him. Of course, we went on antibiotics for the strep and on his last day of antibiotics, we noticed that he'd developed Thrush. We took him to the doctor again last Tuesday for Thrush and they gave him some anti fungal mouthwash and told his to swab the 'infected' areas twice a day for 7 days. Well it's virtually impossible to swab the tonsils and uvula of a 10 month old... so you just have to stick the q-tip in there, swish it around and hope for the best. Then squirt the rest of the dose in his mouth in hopes that he'll swish it around before swallowing. So we just finished the Thrush meds yesterday, but noticed for the past several nights that he's not slept well and had a cough.

Last night he couldn't breath out of his nose at all... it was quite sad to see him so very sleepy but so very frustrated at the same time that he couldn't breath out of his nose.  He just laid in the bottom of his crib and cried with his eyes shut. After about 10 minutes of rubbing his back and patting him (and him still crying) I picked him up and that seemed to help a little. He was still trying to go back to sleep but because he could not breath through his nose he was having a hard time of it. I turned the hot water on in the shower and sat in the dark bathroom for a little bit hoping that the steam would loosen things up for him. Then I sucked his nose out and applied some baby vicks... It helped a little bit but not too much. I think the congestion is no in his nose but rather his sinus cavity. I ended up holding him in the recliner and patting his back till he fell asleep (that was a first).

I'm a bit irked because he's had congestion problems since he was VERY little but the doctor shrugged it off as no big deal (maybe just a little allergy). In my opinion, however, I think it is a big deal when it keeps him from being able to sleep at night. I mean, if I was so congested that I couldn't sleep I'd probably try to see about getting that taken care of. Blah. It's times like these when I wish I was the doctor so I had the knowledge needed to diagnose the little fella... either that or I need a pediatrician that I know that will just tell me point blank whether or not I'm just being paranoid.

I guess I'll call the doctor and try to take him in for the 3rd time in 4 weeks... I just want him to feel better... even if the doctor thinks that Sam and I are just acting like typical parents act... sigh.

On an unrelated note... Landrick has been grinding his teeth. I first noticed him doing this on Saturday while we were at the Arts Festival. It's quite funny because when he does it he looks like a little bulldog. I try to get him to stop, as it can't be good for his teeth, but that's a little tricky.

No comments: