Friday, May 2, 2008

First 5K

(After the race - notice my really red face!)


This past weekend Sam and I completed a 5K race in Maysville. It was the first 5K I actually ran and the second for Sam. (I walked in one last August.) I am happy to say that we both completed the race and met our personal goals.

Mostly, I just wanted to actually run the entire race without walking at all. My second goal was to complete the race in less than 30 minutes. I am quite pleased that I was able to accomplish both of my goals! I ran the entire time and finished in 29 minutes and 50 seconds! I know that is far from a stellar performance, but for a girl who had never ran in a race before (or even really officially trained) I thought it was an accomplishment. I do have to say that I think I might become addicted to the racing scene now. There is some sort of excitement in the air on race day - I had felt a little of it before when going to races or marathon's with my Dad... but it’s a little different when you plan to participate yourself, rather than just watch and cheer.

It was a really great day (despite the rain at the end). It was great for Sam and I to do something like that together and I really enjoyed the fact that my Dad went with me. I could tell he was excited to have another runner in the family, even if it was just for the day. It was something special for a father and daughter to share:)

Tomorrow the Wellness Center is having another 5K - and Sam and I are thinking of participating in it as well.... I think the Maysville 5K may have been the start of an entire new exercising chapter of my life, which I think I'll enjoy.



(Sam, grinning like an opossum at the start:) (Me, cruising along and ready to finish!)





8 comments:

Greg said...

Congrats on your first 5k! And you're right; it can be incredibly addicting!

Leslie said...

oh good for you!!!! i wish i could do it! i just wish i could get my butt out the door....

also...you look great and that face of yours....the same since grade school!

5970!

The Reynolds Family said...

Well done! You guys look great! I love that you and Sam did it together. Can't wait to see you in a week and half!!

Kris and Kally said...

Hooray for you and congrats on accomplishing your goals! I've never run in one, but I've always thought it would be fun!

angela said...

Amanda, can just say how AWESOME you look! Congrats on the run.

angela said...

Hey - send me your email so we can add you to our blog! We went private. Ahhhh!

angela said...

Hey - When are you going to be in Lexington?? We REALLY want to have you over for dinner - or whatever - so let us know when you are coming!

:-)

Kris10 said...

Congrats on the race! You both look amazing!!! I've always wanted to run in a race. Keep up the awesome work!